Anxiously awaiting your Invisalign consultation to finally obtain the straight smile of your dreams? Get the most out of your consultation by asking these top questions at your appointment so you leave the office knowing exactly what to expect and what the process is going to be like for you.
What You Need To Know Before Committing
For everyone about to begin Invisalign treatment, or those looking for as much information as possible to make an informed decision on if Invisalign is right for you, be sure to ask your doctor these 10 questions before beginning an Invisalign treatment plan:
- Will you be using Invisalign brand clear aligners, or another similar brand?
- Will you be using a digital scan or physical impression to get the initial impression of my teeth?
- How long will my treatment plan last?
- How much will my Invisalign clear aligners cost out of pocket?
- Do you accept my insurance?
- Will my insurance cover any portion of my treatment plan?
- Do you offer monthly payment plans?
- What happens if I lose or break an aligner?
- How many hours a day will I need to wear my aligners?
- How do I take care of my aligners?
Get Comfortable with Invisalign Before You Pop On Your Aligners
Invisalign is the easiest way to a straighter smile. Knowing what to expect before you place your first set of aligners will allow you to approach your treatment plan with full confidence knowing you’re prepared for what is to come every step of the way.
The official Invisalign guidelines are:
- Wear your aligners at least 22 hours daily
- Remove aligners when eating or drinking to prevent damage or discoloration
- Brush teeth before replacing your aligners to prevent tooth decay
- Clean aligners regularly
- Change aligners every 2 weeks
- Visit your provider every 4-6 weeks and do not skip or delay appointments
- Set up a retention plan for a post-treatment success
Your Invisalign Responsibilities
In order to have Invisalign work the way it’s supposed to, there are certain things you will need to do at home to ensure your treatment goes as planned and stays on schedule.
Don’t Skip Appointments
Invisalign will require you to visit your provider every 4-6 weeks to track your progress and ensure that your teeth are moving along as scheduled and planned by your doctor. Missing an appointment might take some time to reschedule and will delay your treatment plan. In some cases, this means that patients end up wearing their Invisalign longer than initially planned for.
Wearing Your Aligners
Invisalign aligners only work when they’re properly placed on your teeth for at least 22 hours a day. While that may not seem like a big deal before wearing the aligners, taking them out every time you eat or drink and remembering to replace them immediately after can be a bit of an adjustment. Setting a reminder on your phone every time you take them out will help you to get in the habit in no time.
Keeping On Schedule
Every time you receive a new set of aligners, your teeth are going to be sore for a few days while the new aligners do their job to move and shift your teeth. It might be tempting to skip soreness by avoiding your new aligners, but this will make your treatment take longer in the end.
Perfecting Your Oral Hygiene Routine
The only way to emerge from Invisalign cavity-free is to take your brushing and flossing routine up a notch and make sure you’re taking the time to properly care for your teeth. Not brushing before replacing your aligners after eating will only trap the cavity-causing bacteria on your teeth.
Removing Your Aligners To Eat Or Drink
Remember to remove your aligners every time you eat or drink anything other than water to prevent staining of the aligners. The point of Invisalign is to be able to straighten your teeth in a less obvious way, and dingy, stained aligners are anything but undetectable.
Is Invisalign Right For Me?
Not sure whether you fit the alternative orthodontics profile? You can learn more about candidacy requirements online, but you won’t know for sure whether it’s the best treatment option for you until you meet with a provider. You deserve a gorgeous grin and Hinsdale Dentistry is here to help make those dreams of a straighter smile a reality.